Thursday, August 23, 2007

Lacy Splinters : The button

I took a sip of my morning cocoa.

My eyes never left the brown package, sitting silently on the kitchen counter.

I don't feel like going to work today.

I took a deep breath and reached for the object in obsession.

Slowly I pulled off the tapes like a patient child opening her birthday present.

I take my time.

It revealed a portable hologram player and a few envelopes labeled 1 and 2.

Left the player on the table and started looking through envelope 1.

There's a letter. I guess it's for me...

-----

Hi, you don't need to know who I am. But just know that your husband was involved in another marriage sometime earlier. It's somehow a contract marriage.

You see, I had accidentally divorced my wife. But I had since regretted my decision and I wanted her back. But in order for that to happen, she has to marry someone else, consummate, then divorce her current husband before she can come back to me. It is a tedious task, but I must have her back. I have my reasons.

So she chose one of her ex-boyfriends, which happens to be your husband - sorry to say.

I can imagine the feeling of your stomach knotting as you read this.

As you imagine you husband kissing another woman.

As you imagine them making love.

All these while the trust you nurtured in your relationship, all crushed due to the knowledge of this fact.

His whispers of I love yous...

His promises of your solitude with each other...

Lies...

His kisses which are now shared by another stranger - on your part.

THEY are reliving their younger days...

While YOU sit alone, betrayed...

Why am I telling you all this? Well, you see... I am, a very very spiteful and bitter person. All my life I have been. And I don't really fancy the fact that my wife(ex?) has to go through your husband before coming back to me. And there is also a chance she would not leave your husband at all. Then you will have to share him. And she wont come back to me. Therefore I spite your husband. I hate him with all my guts.

So I send this to you.

I'm sure he didn't mention ANYTHING to you at all... did he?

He's always your loving husband, loyal... a man of his words(?) A person with a calm attitude, albeit too calm it is now serving as his facade in front of you.

Well, in the other envelope are the copies of their legal marriage papers.

In the player? Well, you will have to push the PLAY button to know what is inside. I'm sure you will be as sore as I am after watching it. But doesn't curiosity just kills you?

---

So reads the letter...

I never realized I was chewing on my own lips until I finished reading the letter, then tasted the tangy flavor of blood.

He is right. My stomach is in knots now. It hurts.

I scrambled for the other envelope and tore it open. There it was, the documents which pronounced MY husband and this other person, Man and Wife.

I chewed harder.

My fingers trembled even harder as I reached for the player.

Do I want to know?

Would anything else destroy me more?

......

...

'click'

No comments: